Friday, February 11, 2011

How to Add Olive Oil as your FIRST new food on P3

Here is my best advice for beginning P3, by introducing olive oil as your first new food once 'The Hunger' kicks in. (How I Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda begun P3 if I had only figured this out sooner!)

Aiming for 3200 calories:
(adjust as necessary, by omitting/or adding an egg/or a snack)

You will need:
to make homemade  mayonnaise (or be extra super careful and double-triple-check your store-bought mayo lable for starches and sugars) and buy 4% Cottage Cheese, *Whole Milk and Olive Oil, and also make sure you have the following P2 groceries in larger quantities: uncooked Chicken, Eggs, Grapefruit, Lemon, Apples, Spinach, Celery, Strawberries, Asparagus, Fish (Tilapia?), Sea salt and Stevia.

Breakfast:
3 eggs + 2 Tbs milk, scrambled, cooked in 1 Tbs olive oil.
Tea, with 2 Tbs 1/2+1/2 (and stevia?),
1/2 Grapefruit.
Snack:
1 cup 4% cottage cheese
1 apple

Lunch:
Chicken salad made with cooked chicken (grilled or poached or sauteed in olive oil), and then chopped and tossed with homemade mayo (egg yolks and olive oil, sea salt, etc) and celery. (I use 2 1/2 rounded Tbs of mayo)
Strawberry milkshake (1 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup water and ice cubes and 4-5 strawberries blended together + stevia)

Snack:
1/2 Grapefruit

Dinner:
A nice piece of fish (Tilapia?) wrapped in tinfoil w/olive oil and lemon, broiled until flaky, served on a bed of baby spinach w/Sauteed veggies (in olive oil and sea salt and fresh black pepper) on the side (I'm thinking asparagus)

Desert:
Baked apple (microwaved or actually baked) w/ lemon juice and cinnamon and a 1/2 cup of pureed cottage cheese with stevia, cinnamon and vanilla as a kind of pretend ice cream.

According to the Fitday.com calorie calculator = approx 3158 cals


---------------------------------------------------------
In the beginning of my first P3, I counted all my calories on the Fitday.com calorie calculator. I tried to keep my protein between 40-50%. (My first mistake, I do believe.)

After a week of counting calories, I re-read Dr Simeon's Pounds & Inches 'Concluding a Course' pg 29-30 and stopped counting calories, because I felt overwhelmed and because he never said that was what we needed to do.
However, by logging my foods for that week in order to count cals, I did learn a LOT, like I discovered that eggs are not very calorie dense, but coconuts are.

On Fitday.com, there is a very cute pie-chart showing the percentage of fat to protein to carb ratio of what you entered. HOWEVER, because you are eating (in P3a) a No starch/No sugar diet, some days might seem to register rather alarmingly high in fat %, and yet you will NOT gain weight if you are avoiding starches and sugars. (Just exactly like Dr Simeons says.)

You can basically ignore the pie-chart of fat, protein and carb percentages.  I know the 'Golden Ratio' for body builders is 40-50% protein, 25-35% carbs, and 20-30% fat.  But this ratio does not apply when you are avoiding starches.  Take starches out of the equation and suddenly the idea that you can eat 40-50% protein becomes an impossible quest - I tried it.  Could not be accomplished without protein shakes and then I felt over-fed and awful. That was a big discovery - that my math was off.  So now I ignore the pie-chart and understand that the so-called 'Golden Ratio' does not apply to me or to us.

Here's what Dr Simeons says, in  Pounds & Inches:   in the 'Concluding a Course' section, on pg 29;  that "...the patient may now eat anything they please, except sugar and starch...". He never says to add one new food in per day, and he never says to count calories or to note protein-to-fat percentages. He simply says avoid sugars and starches and weigh yourself every morning. And stay within 2lbs of your final weight(LSW).
So, really, you could just eat!!!

Happy P3 Eating!!!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment